Welcome to Cottonwood County
Cottonwood County was organized July 29, 1870. It was named for the Cottonwood River, which touches the northeast corner of Germantown Township in Cottonwood County. The river was named for the abundance of cottonwood trees on its banks.
At the time of the organization, Minnesota Governor Austin appointed three county commissioners. Their first meeting was held at a private home located about six miles northwest of Windom on the Des Moines River at Big Bend. At this meeting, the commissioner districts were designated and various county officers were changed. The first general election was held in the fall of 1870 so some of these officials changed at that time. The first deed on record was filed January 10, 1870 and the first land assessments were made in 1871. The first taxes were paid in 1872.